TECHNICAL SERVICES LIBRARIAN
RANK: LT3/Assistant Librarian
CAMPUS: Indiana University Kokomo
DEPARTMENT HEAD: Dean of the Library
This position has primary responsibility for planning, managing, supervising and evaluating the Library’s technical services functions, including library materials budgeting, acquisitions, cataloging, and collection maintenance. Departmental liaison activities include teaching, learning and research support for assigned areas.
- Serve as manager of library acquisitions accounts. Evaluate and prepare annual library serials and monograph acquisitions budgets for inclusion in library budget. Oversee acquisition expenditures during the fiscal year. Review weekly expenditure accounts. Assign appropriate funds to purchases.
- Direct library acquisitions. Collaborate with Digital User Experience Librarian on electronic resources acquisitions. Select, or review selections, of suggested library materials and place in priority order. Choose and evaluate vendors. Process newly arrived acquisitions.
- Select, train, supervise, schedule and contribute to evaluation of one full-time staff position. Additional part-time staff supervision opportunities may be available for special projects.
- Develop, revise and implement library policies and procedures in all areas pertaining to technical services.
- Prepare accrediting body reports pertaining to library acquisitions or library collections. Evaluate gift materials for inclusion in library collection.
- Execute or supervise cataloging of library materials. Coordinate cataloging policies and procedures in a shared catalog environment. Supervise physical processing of materials. Maintain trends in bibliographic control.
- Oversee library collection development and maintenance, including creation, review and revision of Indiana University Kokomo Library Collection Development Policy. Work with Access Services Supervisor to inventory library collections. Deselect materials. Update print serial holdings in Serials Solutions. Repair or replace materials as necessary.
- Serve as the Federal Depository Library Coordinator. Develop and maintain the Federal Depository collection and the State Documents collection. Ensure standards are met and proper procedures are followed. Establish or revise policies and procedures. Supervise processing and maintenance of all federal and state documents. Conduct annual review of selected items and select or deselect items as appropriate. Coordinate with MARCIVE for cataloging records for federal documents including print and electronic. Train, or supervise training of, students to shelve documents. Complete reports as required. Inform librarians about significant changes in the depository collection. Understand actions necessary regarding the Indiana Light Archives for federal documents.
- Provide reference service to students, faculty, staff, and the IU Kokomo service area.
- Provide information literacy instruction for general education and assigned liaison areas.
- Work with faculty in liaison areas to develop and manage collections.
- Create or revise Web pages and LibGuides for government documents, technical services and assigned liaison areas.
- Provide technical support in the use of bibliographic tools and integrated library systems.
- Collect, maintain and share relevant statistics.
- Serve as liaison to technical services departments in Bloomington and on other IU campuses and to IU or statewide groups formed for specific functions or projects.
- Participate in departmental meetings.
ENTRY-LEVEL HIRING QUALIFICATIONS
- MLS/MIS/MLIS or equivalent degree from an ALA accredited institution
- Demonstrated knowledge of acquisitions and cataloging including Resource Description and Access (RDA), Library of Congress Subject Headings, Library of Congress Classification System, and MARC 21 Format for Authority Data
- Familiarity with integrated library system functions for technical services
- Commitment to inclusion with an understanding of the library needs of a diverse community
- Demonstrated ability to work productively, independently and collaboratively
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate effectively, verbally and in writing
- Collegial attitude and enthusiasm for innovation
- Commitment to professional development and service in order to meet the requirements for tenure and promotion
- Availability for occasional evening and weekend work
- Post-MLS library technical services work experience with increasing job responsibilities
- Experience working with a federal and/or state government document depository
- Excellent presentation and instruction skills and experience teaching information literacy competencies
- Supervisory experience
Position is available January 2, 2018; start date is negotiable. Interested candidates may submit an application at: https://indiana.peopleadmin.com. Questions regarding the position or application process may be directed to Angie Pusnick, Digital User Experience Librarian, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Indiana University Kokomo seeks faculty skilled at working with members of diverse cultures and committed to preparing students to be engaged members of an increasingly diverse society.
Indiana University Kokomo is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regards to race, color, ethnicity, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation or identity, national origin, disability status, or protected veteran status. This institution is also a provider of ADA services.